Live Chat

Desperate Gods

The place to discuss all things Desperate Gods.

Re: Desperate Gods

Postby teuthida » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:52 pm

marothon wrote:I just wanted to say that I can truly see the potential in the fundamental base that this game engine provides. I'd like to just dive into the code, but a question came to mind: if you want to modify the code, what do you require to recompile? I read earlier in this thread that the engine is built on Unity 4, so I would assume you would need a developer kit specifically for Unity. Is that true?


I'm pretty sure it's true, though I'm pretty new to Unity, so maybe there's a way.
I'd like to ask, if the game does require Unity to compile, does it require the more fully-featured version?
teuthida
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:02 pm

Re: Desperate Gods

Postby trololo » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:19 pm

This is an amazing piece of work! Once again you guys have made something unique and fun to play :D This game really has huge potential and I hope more content is planned for the future.

A suggestion I'd like to make is for the rules and descriptions on cards to be much more specific, I'm guessing things are assumed to be common knowledge but I think extremely knitpicky detailed instructions on cards like the one where you discard your equipment if you roll under 4. What i didn't get is if you discard all your stuff or roll for each card and discard individually. Also how in the rules it never mentions what happens after the first person goes, does everyone continue to roll 2 die? Stuff like that.
trololo
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:54 am

Re: Desperate Gods

Postby Black_Stormy » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:29 pm

Found a bug (of sorts) but it's probably not worth fixing.

Image

if you zoom in then pan around in big circles around the board, the screen rotates gradually. Also the zoom view isn't locked to the board, you can go off into the void
User avatar
Black_Stormy
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:42 am

Re: Desperate Gods

Postby Googleshng » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:53 pm

Oh wow. Any chance I could get the source to this? For years I've been wanting to make a sort of "tabletop emulator" to test/play stuff online, which would essentially just be this game right here, with the option to add art assets on the fly and a few extra features.

Also, with the game itself...

There is some ambiguity that could use clearing up on spaces that move you to another space, on whether you count it as landing on the new space. In the middle of the board in particular I think you can end up taking quite a few turns in a row by abusing those "move back" spaces and intersections.

If the game only ends when every monster deck empties out, doesn't Serene Way kinda keep the game from ever finishing with that special rule? I can't see a situation where someone wouldn't want to deprive someone of 8 points.

The succubus could probably stand some rewording for clarity too. Do you just stay on the space trying again every turn until you hit a 6? Can someone else try to fight it if they also land on the draw space? What happens if you die from something another player does while fighting it?
Googleshng
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:42 pm

Re: Desperate Gods

Postby Grakiao » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:30 pm

Googleshng wrote:Oh wow. Any chance I could get the source to this? For years I've been wanting to make a sort of "tabletop emulator" to test/play stuff online, which would essentially just be this game right here, with the option to add art assets on the fly and a few extra features.

Also, with the game itself...

There is some ambiguity that could use clearing up on spaces that move you to another space, on whether you count it as landing on the new space. In the middle of the board in particular I think you can end up taking quite a few turns in a row by abusing those "move back" spaces and intersections.

If the game only ends when every monster deck empties out, doesn't Serene Way kinda keep the game from ever finishing with that special rule? I can't see a situation where someone wouldn't want to deprive someone of 8 points.

The succubus could probably stand some rewording for clarity too. Do you just stay on the space trying again every turn until you hit a 6? Can someone else try to fight it if they also land on the draw space? What happens if you die from something another player does while fighting it?

Did you even read the first post... Third link is the source code DERP
User avatar
Grakiao
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:05 pm

Re: Desperate Gods

Postby Googleshng » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:54 pm

Grakiao wrote:Did you even read the first post... Third link is the source code DERP


I noticed it literally just after hitting submit.
Googleshng
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:42 pm

Re: Desperate Gods

Postby greeniekin » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:35 am

Some things I think should be done when playing.
For one when it says choose 3 pick one. I do not think it means draw 3 keeping the cards face down and pick one randomly. because that is no different to just picking the top card. Plus provides nice choice to the player or then enemy player if they have to choose.

Putting cards at the bottom of the deck i think is a bad idea. It is slow and means the cards will have a known order. I stack discarded cards on the left side of the table. It is faster to do. Also when you run out of cards for that deck you can then pick up the discarded deck and shake it. it will reshuffle it. then put that in it's place.

I think snapping an item to a deck position would be good. and the potential for some spots to have special things. like the death deck might have the sum of victory points above it. and maybe coins could stack and count as well.

Also you wouldn't think problems would come from this game when laggy.
Though I found it difficult to roll and sometimes I would pick up the entire deck instead of just a single card. Though that can not be helped.
greeniekin
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 5:48 am

Re: Desperate Gods

Postby Enricksolt » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:11 am

I have a problem, i can't join any online games. I've played yesterday with a friend but we was forced to use Hamachi for play together. I even try to disable my Firewall but nothing, any guess? :(

I have another question, once a deck is empty and i end up on a "Draw One" for that specific deck, what i should do? Reroll, skip the turn or draw from another deck?
Enricksolt
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:01 am

Re: Desperate Gods

Postby seiseki » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:02 am

I've noticed that the dice is way too stiff which makes it hard to get properly randomized rolls..

And wow, I haven't been this excited about a game in a while :)
seiseki
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 8:14 am

Re: Desperate Gods

Postby dodo1006 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:34 am

Hey, me and my friend started playing DG right away. for some time we've been looking for such a realistic "tabletop simulator". I do have some question though.
after some rounds some things seemed unclear to us. like:
You can only purchase 1 item once you arrive in town (correct me if i'm wrong)
Does giving one silver and restocking the store count as a purchase? can it be done multiple times?
Same question goes for selling and buying, can you sell AND buy an item in the same turn?

Besides these issues we'v encountered some things that might need to be balanced.
I got my hands on an unflinching sword, without question the most usefull piece of equipment around, later that same game I got my hand on the second unflinching sword. although they are 9 silver each, after you get rolling with good equipment fights are easily won, therefore more gold is earned. These two items allowed me to roll 2 attack dice per each card extra and add 1 point per roll to each dice. haveing two cards would result in throwing 5 dice with each added 2 point to them. easily slaying the entire bottom dungeon without losing once on my own.
As that might have been good luck (finding the swords and all) it happends 3 times, making me a bit concerned about them being as rare as they should be.

but wait there's more!
what will happen once you empty an enitre stack of cards related to that level of dungeon difficulty? will you pick the one under it? skip a turn? or just leave it be and go on untill you wander down into the harder levels?

I love this game, seriously. but there's much work to be done and I hope you guys don't quit inventing and adding new stuff <3
dodo1006
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:12 am

Re: Desperate Gods

Postby RoyaleBeast » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:10 am

So fucking cool.
User avatar
RoyaleBeast
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:04 pm

Re: Desperate Gods

Postby yarakon » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:10 pm

GreenFlame wrote:Guys, you're Awesome! Thanks again for your joy-spreading amazing game making magic! Downloading! =D

yea i know what you're saying. I usually hate board games on the computer but this is just brilliant :D
yarakon
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 10:54 am

Re: Desperate Gods

Postby yarakon » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:12 pm

dodo1006 wrote:Hey, me and my friend started playing DG right away. for some time we've been looking for such a realistic "tabletop simulator". I do have some question though.
after some rounds some things seemed unclear to us. like:
You can only purchase 1 item once you arrive in town (correct me if i'm wrong)
Does giving one silver and restocking the store count as a purchase? can it be done multiple times?
Same question goes for selling and buying, can you sell AND buy an item in the same turn?

Besides these issues we'v encountered some things that might need to be balanced.
I got my hands on an unflinching sword, without question the most usefull piece of equipment around, later that same game I got my hand on the second unflinching sword. although they are 9 silver each, after you get rolling with good equipment fights are easily won, therefore more gold is earned. These two items allowed me to roll 2 attack dice per each card extra and add 1 point per roll to each dice. haveing two cards would result in throwing 5 dice with each added 2 point to them. easily slaying the entire bottom dungeon without losing once on my own.
As that might have been good luck (finding the swords and all) it happends 3 times, making me a bit concerned about them being as rare as they should be.

but wait there's more!
what will happen once you empty an enitre stack of cards related to that level of dungeon difficulty? will you pick the one under it? skip a turn? or just leave it be and go on untill you wander down into the harder levels?

I love this game, seriously. but there's much work to be done and I hope you guys don't quit inventing and adding new stuff <3

you choose weather you can purchase once or more than once. It just depends on how you wanna play
yarakon
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 10:54 am

Re: Desperate Gods

Postby Luminc » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:12 pm

Apart from a bit of joining issues, I had a lot of fun — and met new friends in the process!

You people have a goldmine here if you polish it a bit and look towards adaptions of different combination of boardgames. I'd like to thank you guys the intuitive gameplay and managing innovation in such a short timeframe. As far as basic polish goes, I guess UI could get some work, get a settings menu in there, some admin controls — not too much — just to keep public games orderly in a way (Board state snapshots, votekick).

As for more advanced stuff I'd love to see a shuffle animation, and intergrate sliding decks or cards under other decks when holding 'T', which should make sliding cards to the back of a deck after drawing less of a handling.

I also had some problems adjusting to grabbing decks/cards. A tip would be to have a modifier to always pick up deck, and otherwise just drawing cards. You guys did more complex handling in Receiver and I'm sure you could out-do yourself here.

Something that irks me about the gameplay is that you go into end-game too fast. Decks empty out really quickly at which point you end up picking Hell cards when you're in Tall Trees for example. My new friend and I were already adjusting the rules so that we'd keep track of points and return fought cards back to the deck. When we had to fight or pick graveyard monsters, we'd pick one from the bottom of the stage we were in. I find it amazing that we're able to improvise and alter the rules for ourselves and that to me really makes this a good boardgame game. A solution would either be more cards, with more variety to them. I'd like to fight a boss, with different mechanics, something, I don't know. Picking Hell cards in the Forest just sort of breaks the vibe.

Also, we quickly caught on that the healthsword, plus the staff, plus the smiting scroll is a powerful combo and made my opponent steamroll me with double the score. Then again, that combination is rather hard to get.

All in all you guys never cease to amaze me and I commend you all on your hard work!
Luminc
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:51 am

Re: Desperate Gods you should update

Postby shark1867 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:16 am

hey john ok so me and some guys i was playing with were thinking there should be more coins and cards it would be really helpfull to have more cards due to we actulyl kind of ran out not expecting it quickly just could use it i love the game and i couldnt wait to play it when i saw it thanks and you should consider adding some other kinds of things hopfully you will update this game soon :D thanks
shark1867
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:06 am

PreviousNext

Return to Desperate Gods

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group